Norwich Lettering

Here you will find examples of lettering that I have photographed on the streets of Norwich. I have added a commentary that relates these images to typographic practice and history. I hope you find this interesting and also that it might provoke you into discovering more about type and letterforms through study (and through keeping your eyes open). PS: The main dates shown are original postings. Each time I add a new image the date is inserted thus (07.09.06).

Name:

I have been a graphic designer for over thirty years and an artist for even longer. I led the BA (Hons) Graphic Design courses at Norwich University of the Arts and the University of Hertfordshire between 1992 and 2011. My abiding interest is in type and lettering, with a particular interest in vernacular letterforms. I am the image moderator for, and the major contributor to The Visual Dictionary: www.thevisualdictionary.net

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Letterspacing


When using all capitals in a piece of headline typography, you have to take care to create even spacing. As an example I have picked the word TRAVEL, as it has a series of difficult letter pairings to cope with, exaggerated by my choice of the Bembo font, which has a long leg on the R (Jarrolds use this typeface for their store's identity). Image 1 is how the computer sets the word, unaltered, with 0 tracking (spacing between letters). Image 2 highlights the disparate size of the spaces between letters. In Image 3 I have altered each individual space to match the largest one (between the R and the A). Image 4 highlights the equalised spaces. In Image 5 I have altered each individual space to match the smallest one (between the A and the V). Image 6 highlights the size of the spaces.


















The next photographic image shows some eccentric letterspacing to be found on Tombland, opposite the Erpingham gate of the Cathedral. Is it Tom Bland? Could be. I will feature other examples whenever they turn up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home